Sat, Jun 08|
Bundle (Formerly Clay's)
Make More Mail Workshop - June 2019
Join us from 10 am - 12 pm on June 8th, 2019 for a morning of card-making, letter-writing, and relaxation. You'll have a chance to try new supplies and learn new techniques, including origami, calligraphy, brush lettering, quilling, watercolor painting, collage, pyrography, and heat embossing.
Time & Location
Jun 08, 2019, 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM
Bundle (Formerly Clay's), 60 Main St, Middlebury, VT 05753, USA
About the event
Join me from 10 am - 12 pm on June 8th, 2019 at Bundle in downtown Middlebury, VT for a Make More Mail Workshop!
Please click the "read more" button for full details!
Now is the time to send some joy to all the beautiful people in your life!
Who doesn't love receiving mail that's crafted with care?
That's right. Very few people.
What is it going to be like?
It will be a fun morning of paper crafting and letter writing! Depending on your comfort level, you can work with my help, get inspiration from a provided ideas, or simply enjoy creating cards and writing letters on your own in a dedicated space with other lovely people. It's sure to be a great morning, full of fun, relaxation, and creativity. There will also be a tiny pop-up boutique of handmade cards and fun artsy products created or curated by yours truly. And maybe some homemade snacks...
Those registered for this event can drop in anytime while we’re open, and enjoy the time, space, and friendly faces dedicated to making more (non-junk) mail! Walk-in spaces may be available as well! See below for more info.
All necessary materials will be provided, but feel free to bring any supplies of your own you'd like to share or have access to, fun inserts (photos, tea packets, favorite sticks of gum, tiny candies, themed confetti) and few addresses for your favorite people!
For anyone in need of postage, The Magical Land of Letter and Package Conveyance (aka The Post Office) is right down the street and should be open for the duration of the workshop. :D
What will I get to take home?
- Five heavy-weight watercolor-paper cards and envelopes, decorated by you to your heart's content.
- Experience using a plethora of fun supplies and notes on card-making techniques to try.
- Letter-writing tips and tricks for those suffering from what-the-heck-do-I-write-itis. (You may even get to learn the clandestine art of writing a beautiful thank you note for something you're not sure you wanted.)
What will I get to try?
During your workshop visit, you will have the opportunity to learn the basics of any of the below!
- Modern brush and pen lettering techniques
- Quilling (decoratively swirled paper scrolling)
- Watercolor painting, lettering, and embellishment
- Repurposed paper collage
- Scorch Marker wood-burning pens (We'll be using them primarily on paper and cardboard--but they're super freakin' cool regardless).
- Fountain pens
- White gel pens (You might not think they deserve their own entry, but they do!)
- Heat embossing (Adds glittery/glossy raised lettering or stamp impressions as embellishments on your cards).
- I've also purchased access for you to use to the Bundle typewriter station!
Tools and supplies for embellishing your card blanks are included, but if you're more advanced with any of these techniques and have supplies you'd like to share or use yourself during the workshop, by all means bring 'em along!
If you're interested in my favorite supplies and would like to practice with them before the event, I've created a list here!
Options for participation:
Welcome! - General Admission
$25 for five high-quality 5x7 watercolor paper card blanks, a morning of great company, a plethora of tips and tricks, a wide variety of materials and embellishments... and maybe even some snacks!
Wow, thank you! - Generous Admission
$30 This ticket includes all the above, plus a handmade card of your choice and my thanks for your generous support!
Art. is. for. EVERYONE! - Sliding Scale Admission
$0+ If you can't pay the full fee, or it would create any sort of hardship for you to make your payment right now, please just register here, show up, and pay what you can at the door. No explanation needed. Just pay it forward. Art is for everyone. Art is for you. You're loved and you're awesome. I hope you can join us!
- You're welcome to purchase any of the above tickets at the door as long as there's space, but if workspaces get full, you may be asked to hop on a waitlist and join us for a future event instead.
- If you're not certain you can make the event, but want to RSVP, reserve an "Art. is. for. EVERYONE!" ticket for free, and note your situation in the registration info comment box.
While art is for everyone, this workshop is just... not.
- All participating humans promise to be kind, good-humored, and averse to injuring themselves with craft supplies (including hot, choppy, and delicate tools).
- If you are a parent of a small child who might burn themselves on hot things, or accidentally chop themselves with choppy things, please find a lovely human for them to spend the morning with so you can focus on your crafts.
- Reasonably interested, coordinated, considerate humans ages 12 and under are welcome to attend! That said, they must be accompanied by an attentive adult.
- Just to be up-front and candid... If you are habitually irritatingly high-maintenance, unkind, or lack a sense of humor, please find a different way to spend your morning. May I suggest that you schedule a massage, take a walk, or meditate in the shade of a kind and tolerant tree? Of course I may. This is my party, and I'll request nice guests if I want to. And I want to. :)
Discountportunities (Yep. I just made that word up.)
If you have art/craft pieces/fun art supplies/deeply hilarious jokes/fascinating facts/useful skills that you would like to propose in exchange for a full or partial discount on admission, feel free to email me a proposal at firstname.lastname@example.org with "Art Swap!" in the subject line.
Of particular interest: Photography/videography skills, beta-reading/proofreading skills, a really gorgeous large-ish blue handmade soup/cereal bowl--yes, it's semi specific, but maybe there's a ceramics enthusiast out there who has created just the thing!
Full disclosure - I offer no guarantee that I'll accept proposals (I live in a small space and am fairly ruthless about not acquiring things I am not deeply in love with), but I am very curious about what delightful creativity this swap may bring to my inbox! <3
I'm bringing a friend/small herd of humans/have an idea to help you advertise!
Arts and crafts are always more fun with friends. Email email@example.com with "I'm bringing friends!" in the subject line and your idea, and if it sounds like an awesome plan, I'll send you a discount code in honor of your brilliance.
I really like treasure hunts...
Omg me too. For you, I will be hiding one single-use code for a free ticket somewhere on my Instagram page (@funisanecessity). Happy hunting! :D
Welcome! - General Admission
This is a standard admission to the workshop. I'm so excited that you'll be attending! :D$25.00
Wow, thank you! - Generous
This ticket includes a handmade card of your choice and my thanks for your generous support! :)$30.00
Art. is. for. EVERYONE!
If you can't pay the full fee, or it would create any sort of hardship for you to make your payment right now, please just register here, show up, and pay what you can at the door. No explanation needed. Art is for everyone. Art is for you. You're loved and you're awesome. I hope you can join us!$0.00